In one of my favorite conversations to date, content strategist and career girl Liz Talago helps us smash some patriarchy.
Liz Talago is a SPITFIRE, y'all. When she's not riding her Harley through the streets of Nashville or the mountains of Montana, she's pushing the "acceptable" boundaries of sexual expression as a model of boutique lingerie; she's advocating for women in the workplace; she's changing the way women think about money and their earning potential. And I AM HERE FOR IT.
In this conversation, Liz and I talk about:
- how her family and others are dealing with the political divide
- how the patriarchy positions a woman's body/sexuality as a liability
- the double bind women face with our sexuality, and the modesty trap we can fall into
- her own journey from Catholic school and shaming of sexuality to fully stepping into her sexual power (and what her new black widow tattoo has to do with this)
- her collaborative photo exhibit, "Sweating Like a Whore in Church"
- how we start moving the needle to actually create change in the #metoo era
- navigating personal vs professional identity, and how those of us with privilege need to be the ones pushing the boundaries
About Liz Talago
Liz is a writer, brand strategist, and freelance model living in Nashville, TN. She writes about money, sex, women, and work at liztalago.com where she shares actionable, unfiltered career advice for the #metoo era. As a co-founder of Lean-In and Ladies Get Paid in Nashville, Liz loves finding ways to empower and uplift her tribe in person and online. Follow her on Instagram @immaculate.confessions
For full show notes including links to resources we mention in the episode, head here!
About the Show
If we're being honest with ourselves, don't we all just really want to know what the fucking point is of any of this? Hosted by paradoxically nihilistic + eternally optimistic psychotherapist and yoga teacher Valerie Martin, this podcast features conversations with a wide variety of guests who offer thought provoking perspectives on the ultimate question of humanity.