On this week’s podcast, we hear from three Russia experts about the country’s long game for energy expansion, its red cards in international politics, and whether it can regain a home advantage in the Asia-Pacific.
It’s the football and international relations podcast you’ve been waiting for. With the World Cup kicking off this weekend, we bring together three Russia experts to commentate on the world game, Putin and politics.
Elizabeth Buchanan, Matthew Sussex, and Olga Krasnyak chat to Policy Forum’s Maya Bhandari about reputation and legitimacy, energy markets and football sponsorships, soft power and Asia-Pacific pivots, and what a post-Putin Russia might look like.
Associate Professor Matthew Sussex is the Academic Director at the National Security College. His main research specialisation is on Russian foreign and security policy.
Dr Elizabeth Buchanan is a Europa Visiting Fellow at the ANU Centre for European Studies, specialising in Russian foreign energy strategy, with a specific research interest in Russian polar strategy.
Dr Olga Krasnyak is a lecturer in International Studies at Underwood International College, Yonsei Univesity, Republic of Korea.
The following pieces were referred to or informed the discussion in this episode:
- Russia is flexing its sports sponsorship muscles by Simon Chadwick
- Will there be a World Cup boycott? by Simon Chadwick
- Football, oil, and roads to influence by Simon Chadwick
- Can China’s companies be World Cup winners? by Simon Chadwick
- Can FIFA reform itself? by Martin Painter
- How to win a presidential election, Russian style by Matthew Sussex
- Putin 4.0 by Matthew Sussex
- Podcast: Who run the world? with Nip Wijewickrema, Ashleigh Streeter-Jones and Caitlin Figueiredo
- Rapid Round-up: Trump-Kim Summit
- Love, Canberra Podcast with Evana Ho and Nip Wijewickrema
Policy Forum Pod is available on Spotify, iTunes, Stitcher, and wherever you get your podcasts. We’d love to hear your feedback for this podcast series! Send in your questions, comments, or suggestions for future episodes to email@example.com. You can also Tweet us @APPSPolicyForum or find us on Facebook.
About the Show
Policy Forum Pod is the podcast of Policy Forum.net - Asia and the Pacific's platform for public policy debate, analysis and discussion. Policy Forum is based at Crawford School of Public Policy at the Australian National University.